- 1. Use and respond to a variety of print and digital formats for pleasure and personal growth
A. Express areas of interest
B. Locate and select resources in interest areas
C. Explore various formats
D. Express opinion on selected resources
- 2. Use and respond to a variety of genres for pleasure and personal growth
A. Recognize the characteristics of various genres
B. Select resources in assigned genres
C. Explain preferred genre
- 3. Analyze and respond to multiple resources and creative expressions from diverse cultures, including Montana American Indians
A. Recognize that culture impacts creative expression (e.g., religion, family, nationality)
B. Identify an author’s cultural bias
C. Recognize the diversity of cultural expression
- 4. Access and use libraries and other information environments to find information for personal use and to make connections to resources beyond the school library
A. Access and use available digital resources
B. Locate and use available community resources (e.g., presentations, guest speakers, museums, community members, organizations, government resources)
C. Access interlocal and/or intralocal resources (e.g., public libraries, other school libraries, bookmobile, infomobile, inter-library loan)
Key Ideas and Details
1. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
RL.6.1. Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
2. Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
RL.6.2. Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
3. Analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
RL.6.3. Describe how a particular story’s or drama’s plot unfolds in a series of episodes as well as how the characters respond or change as the plot moves toward a resolution.
Craft and Structure
4. Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
RL.6.4. Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning and tone.
5. Analyze the structure of texts, including how specific sentences, paragraphs, and larger portions of the text (e.g., a section, chapter, scene, or stanza) relate to each other and the whole.
RL.6.5. Analyze how a particular sentence, chapter, scene, or stanza fits into the overall structure of a text and contributes to the development of the theme, setting, or plot.
6. Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
RL.6.6. Explain how an author develops the point of view of the narrator or speaker in a text.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
7. Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse formats and media, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
RL.6.7. Compare and contrast the experience of reading a story, drama, or poem to listening to or viewing an audio, video, or live version of the text, including contrasting what they “see” and “hear” when reading the text to what they perceive when they listen or watch.
9. Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.
RL.6.9. Compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres (e.g., stories and poems; historical novels and fantasy stories; traditional and contemporary stories by and about American Indians) in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently.